Saturday, May 30, 2009

4 days to go! Rwanda here I come...


4 days left, I still haven't fully wrapped my mind around what is about to happen.

I have been spending the last week and a half with my family in Chicago. We have been hanging out, gathering necessities for my trip, and being blessed day after day with the generosity of people that I am so blessed to have in my life.

On May 23rd, West Aurora High School invited me to their Global Night Out event. It is an overnight event where the students stay overnight at their school in solidarity for the conflict in east Africa and have raised almost $40,000 in the past 3 years they have held this event. They had a choir sing, dance competition, dodgeball tournament, etc...
I went to this school for a screening last year when I was a Roadie, and got very close to the students and teachers. An amazing teacher, Christina Tammen, asked me to come and speak to the students. Not only speak but to tell my story, and really relate to the students. So I spoke, and afterwords the club advisers Christina Tammen and Mr. Sustersic presented me with a check and then continued fundraising for me throughout the night. The total amount that they raised for me was $1,303! This school has been such a blessing in my life since day one. They supported me as a Roadie, showed up every day at the Rescue, and is continuing to invest in my as I'm on my way to Rwanda. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to the students of West Aurora, the IC club, Ms. Tammen, and Mr. Sustersic. I love you all and cant wait until I come back and can share the stories I am able to capture in Africa.

The rest of my time has been spent with friends and family. Seeing movies, having cook outs, and just loving on each other. I am going to miss every one so much, but right now it doesn't even feel as if I am leaving. My mind cant process the fact that I will be flying off to Rwanda on Tuesday, but I know when it hits me, IT WILL HIT ME! All I can do at this point is pray, make sure I have gotten all of the last minute things done, put some amazing music on my ipod (if anyone has suggestions, PLEASE let me know), spend as much time with my fam bam as possible, and then get on that plane and let go and let God.

No comments: