Thursday, June 4, 2009

Finally in Africa!




After 3 continents, 35 hours in the air, 6 layovers, WAY too much airplane food, getting lost in half of the airports, and five hours of sleep… I am finally in Africa! I was so nervous about all the layovers, security checks, and any other thing that could go wrong, but everything was so smooth!

My first stop was Minneapolis, MN. Only an hour flight from Chicago, so I’m not really sure why I had to stop there… but what ever. I called people, said my goodbyes, had a happy meal from McDonalds that I definitely shouldn’t have eaten, and then I embarked on a 9 hour flight to London. The flight to London was really smooth. I watched He’s Just Not That Into You and Taken (Thanks for the recommendation sis ;) ) and tried to sleep.

So I laid over in London for 5 hours, walking around, hanging out, and every one there was SO nice! I was nervous about going to London because I have these amazing friends, and one time they went to London and got kicked out and sent back to the US all in the same night… if you want details, find Johannes Oberman on facebook and ask. Be sensitive… its still kind of a touchy subject (Your welcome Jo, Love you). Every one in London was incredibly nice, customs was a breeze, and was on my way to Amsterdam, another 1 hour flight.

Amsterdam was like one big flash back; I laid over in Amsterdam when I went to Uganda with Invisible Children last September. I walked past all these places that I went with my friends, and it made me miss them a lot!

I love and miss you, Team Sicky Nar Nar: Jo, Crystal, Lauren B, Lauren G, Blazzzor, Daniel, Durty Kurty, Jenny, Lace Dog, and Jared!!!!!

From Amsterdam I had another LONG flight! 8 hours to Kenya. I left from Amsterdam at 9:00pm June 3rd, I woke up at 4am on the plane to the most incredible African sunrise. It was the most amazing welcome I could have asked for. As the sun rose, I saw all the colors of the rainbow come with it. Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple filled the dark sky as the sun peaked behind Mt. Kenya. I stepped off of the plane to the warm breeze of Africa! I still can’t believe I am actually here! From there, I was on my one-hour plane ride to Uganda, my last plane stop.




BETHANY… I blew Kenya a kiss for you! She says come home soon ☺!

I am now in Uganda, round 2. I arrived at around 9:40am June 4th and It is absolutely beautiful! Drizzling rain, it is so green and smells fresh, monkeys running around the parking lot, it only seems right. I am now at a Hostel with Seth and Ricky (The Filmer and Photographer for KEZA ) waiting for Rachel to get here at 10pm. From there, we will get on a bus at around 1am tomorrow morning for a 10 hour bus ride to Kigali, Rwanda. I have gotten past the first struggle… getting here! And now I cant wait to see what God has in store for me for these next few months!

Keep us in your prayers and pray that Rachel Gets here safe!

Mom, Dad, Claire, Michael, I MISS YOU GUYS LIKE CRAZY! I am safe and will call you when I get to Rwanda! LOVE YOU! Africa says hello…

3 comments:

Sarah Dingman said...

Nelly - Praise the Lord you got to Uganda safely! I'm praying for your drive to Kigali and know that you have a circle of angels surrounding you who have your back for me and the girls.

Happy first blog post in Africa - looking forward to the posts to come!!

Unknown said...

Your home! The only problem now is that team sticky nar nar is not along side you. Of course there would need to be some additions to that team, but we can deal with that. You put a smile on my face this morning. Keep it alive and tell Uganda hello for me.

We are too young to realize why certain things are impossible. Which is why we will do it anyways.

Peace and Love Nel

Chelsi said...

Love you Nat! Good luck girl!